Recipe: Elote Salad
Don’t let summer go by without making this Mexican Street Corn salad! All the flavor of traditional elotes but no grilled required and a little less messy (not that that really matters). It’s just so damn tasty and a great additional to any summer meal while corn is at is peak!
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) vegetable oil
- 4 ears fresh corn, shucked and kernels removed (about 3 cups fresh corn kernels)
- Kosher salt
- 2 ounces (60g) feta or Cotija cheese, finely crumbled
- 1/2 cup finely sliced scallions, green parts only
- 1/2 cup (1/2 ounce) fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and stemmed, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 medium cloves garlic, pressed or minced on a Microplane grater (about 1 to 2 teaspoons)
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) fresh lime juice from 1 lime
- Chile powder or hot chile flakes, to taste
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over high heat until shimmering. Add corn kernels, season to taste with salt, toss once or twice, and cook without moving until charred on one side, about 2 minutes. Toss corn, stir, and repeat until charred on second side, about 2 minutes longer. Continue tossing and charring until corn is well charred all over, about 10 minutes total. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add cheese, scallions, cilantro, jalapeño, garlic, mayonnaise, lime juice, and chile powder and toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and more chile powder to taste. Serve immediately.
Recipe from seriouseats.com