Recipe: Salmon Patties with Goddess Sauce
We used to teach this recipe in our Food and Mood cooking class. It’s a favorite of mine and comes together easily with the use of canned salmon. People were always surprised at this ingredient choice but it’s a step easier than using fresh, plus it tastes just as good, is more affordable and is equally nutrient dense. Make sure to not skip the sauce… it’s the best part and a good source of those little omega 3 packed anchovies. Enjoy!
SALMON PATTIES with GREEN GODDESS SAUCE
Makes 4 servings
3 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely diced
1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
½ Tbsp chopped fresh chives
12-14 ounces canned salmon, drained
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 ½ tsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbs mayonnaise
½ tsp lemon juice
1/3 cups fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallot, celery and a pinch of salt; cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Place salmon in a medium bowl. Flake apart with a fork. Add egg, mustard, lemon juice, chives, mayonnaise, parsley and salt to taste; mix well. Add the shallot mixture, breadcrumbs and pepper; mix well. Shape the mixture into 8 patties, about 2 1/2 inches wide.
- Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in the pan over medium heat. Add 4 patties and cook until the undersides are golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a wide spatula, turn them over and fry for another 3-4 minutes.
- Serve salmon cakes with sauce and lemon wedges.
GREEN GODDESS SAUCE
(Adapted from eatingwell.com)
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup plain yogurt, reduced fat or whole
4 anchovy fillets, rinsed and chopped
3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Combine mayonnaise, yogurt, anchovies, chives, parsley, capers, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a food processor and pulse to combine.