Recipe: African Bean Soup
It’s definitely, soup season! It seems like it’s really cold across the country right now, but luckily I have a recipe to keep you warm! This soup is one of my staples. It’s easy, flavorful and nutritious. I hope you enjoy!
AFRICAN BEAN SOUP
2 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs soy sauce
1 onion, chopped
2 small yams, peel and diced (~2 cups)
1 large carrot, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, with liquid
½ cup cilantro or parsley
2 cups vegetable stock
3 Tbs creamy peanut butter
1-2 tsp curry powder
- Heat olive oil in stock pot over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and sweet potato for about 5 minutes.
- Add celery, carrots, bell pepper, soy sauce and curry powder and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, beans, cilantro and vegetable stock.
- Blend peanut butter with ½ cup warm water and add to soup.
- Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until sweet potatoes are tender.