Recipe: Buttermilk Farro Salad
Post by Olivia Martino, Registered Dietitian and Co-owner, Nourish Northwest
This recipe was adapted from 101cookbooks (great blog for healthy recipes!) but it was originally inspired by a salad at Clyde Common here in Portland. This is a great summer potluck salad, especially right now while zucchini is abundant. Enjoy!
Buttermilk Farro Salad
Adapted from 101 Cookbooks
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 cup / 240 ml buttermilk
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml good-quality white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped dill
- 1/2 cup chopped chives
- 7 small radishes, sliced paper thin
- 3 small zucchini, sliced paper thin
- Kernals from 3 ears fresh corn
- 4 cups arugula
- 4 cups cooked farro, cooled to room temp
Combine the garlic and salt on a cutting board. Mash into a paste using the flat side of your knife. Place in a medium bowl or jar, then add the buttermilk and vinegar. Whisk together and let sit for 5 minutes or so. Gradually whisk in the olive oil, then the herbs.
In a large bowl gently toss the radishes, zucchini, asparagus and arugula with the farro grains. Add 1 cup of the dressing and toss again. Let sit for ten minutes, taste, and adjust with more dressing, if needed, and salt to taste.