Recipe: Slow Cooker Chicken Posole
I aboslutely love this soup! It’s super simple to make but what truly make it shine is the toppings. It’s all about the toppings. Pile on radishes, sour cream, cilantro, lime wedges, avocado and of course, tortilla chips. With Thanksgiving right around the corner, keep this week’s meals simple with this tasty recipe. Easily made vegan by replacing the chicken with pinto beans at the very end of cooking and reducing the time to 4 hours.
Slow Cooker Chicken Posole
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped poblano pepper (1 medium)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (28-oz.) can white hominy, drained
- 2 (10-oz.) bone-in chicken breasts, skinned
- 1/3 cup finely chopped peeled tomatillos
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup sliced radishes
- 1 1/2 ripe avocados, sliced
- 3 ounces tortilla strips
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a 6-quart electric slow cooker. Add chicken to stock mixture; submerge in liquid. Cover and cook on LOW 6 to 8 hours. Remove chicken from cooker. When cool enough to handle, remove bones, and shred chicken into large pieces.
- Return chicken to slow cooker; stir in tomatillos, cilantro, juice, and salt. Divide soup among 6 bowls; top evenly with radishes, avocado and tortilla strips.