Recipe: Pesto Spaghetti Squash with Sautéed Zucchini and Burst Tomatoes
It doesn’t get much more summery than this! Make use of the abundance of tomatoes, zucchini and basil that the season provides us with! Enjoy!
Pesto Spaghetti Squash with Sautéed Zucchini and Burst Tomatoes
Spaghetti Squash Noodles and Zucchini
- 1 baked spaghetti squash, strands removed with a fork
- 1 zucchini, cut into half moons
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Olive oil and/or butter (vegan or regular)
- salt to taste
- 1 pints (2 cups) cherry or grape tomatoes
- Olive oil
- ⅔ cup walnuts
- 2 cups packed fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup lightly packed basil leaves, larger leaves torn into small pieces
- Toast the walnuts: In a medium skillet over medium heat, cook the walnuts, stirring occasionally, until they smell nice and fragrant, about 7 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Cook the cherry tomatoes: In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the cherry tomatoes, olive oil and a pinch of salt. Cover the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes have burst open and they are cooking in their own juices, about 7 to 8 minutes. Set aside.
- Saute the zucchini and olive oil and/or butter until softened. Add salt and garlic and sautee 30 seconds more.
- In a food processor, combine the walnuts, basil, garlic, lemon zest, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, red pepper flakes, ¼ teaspoon salt and several twists of freshly ground black pepper. Blend until the mixture is pretty smooth, then season to taste with additional lemon juice, salt and/or pepper until the flavors really sing. Blend again.
- Pour the pesto over the spaghetti squash strands and zucchini and toss to combine.
- Pour the cherry tomatoes on top of the dish, and sprinkle the basil over them. Toss gently, and divide the mixture into bowls. Top individual bowls with fresh basil leaves.