Recipe Roundup: Trader Joe’s Meals
One request that I have gotten numerous times from clients is for ideas for simple recipes. I have always had some trouble accomodating this because I personally love spending time in the kitchen and it has always been a hope of mine to show my clients how to experience that same joy.
Well, I had a baby and now I really get it. It’s not always about not wanting to spend the time, it’s about not having the time. I have found myself increasingly searching for healthy meals that are pre-prepared or at least partially so. If you are lucky enough to have a Trader Joe’s in your city then you know that this store can be extremely helpful in making your dreams of fast, healthy meals come true. However, you do have to be cautious and remember to read your ingredient lists, as not all of TJ’s products are the heathiest choices.
It has been a goal of mine for awhile to develop some recipes based on products you can find at Trader Joe’s. I had just zipped up my coat to go to the store for research when it occured to me that perhaps someone on the internet had already done this and ofcourse Trader Joe’s already had! So I perused their website and picked out a few that sounded good and nutritious. There are a ton of recipes on there, so check out their website for more ideas! Hopefully the days of homemade sourdough, sauces from scratch and creating new vegetable based meals will return soon but for now… thank you Trader Joe’s! (I swear I’m not even sponsored, just a big fan!)
Sweet Potato Curry
Ingredient List: 1 package frozen edamame, 12 oz sweet potato ribbons, 12 oz haricots verts, 11 oz thai red curry sauce, naan or rice for serving
- Defrost Edamame
- Add 1 Tablespoon olive oil to a large sauté pan. When oil is hot, add edamame and season with salt & pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add sweet potato ribbons and all of the curry sauce to the pan.
- Lower heat, cover, and cook for about 4-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, snip the corner off of haricot verts bag and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Add beans to pan, stir together, cover and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Serve with naan or rice.
Turkey Stuffed Peppers
- 4 peppers (about 24 oz)
- 12 oz turkey bolognese (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 7 oz bag of arugula or lettuce
- dressing of choice or olive oil + vinegar
- salt, pepper, garlic powder (optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash peppers and remove top, seeds and membranes.
- Prepare bolognese and rice as directed.
- Stir together bolognese, rice, 1/2 tsp garlic powder (optional) and 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Stand peppers in baking dish and divide rice mixture between the peppers.
- Top with remaining cheese and top baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes, broiling for 2-3 minutes at the end if necessary to brown cheese.
- Meanwhile prepare salad: toss greens with favorite dressing or a simple combination of a drizzle of olive oil, splash of vinegar and salt & pepper.
Roasted Veggie Bowl
- 1 package TJ’s Frozen Brown Rice, microwaved according to package directions
- 2 cups of your favorite roasted vegetables, cold or warm (we used TJ’s Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Roasted Delicata Squash)
- 2 handfuls spinach or power greens
- 1 TJ’s Avocado
- TJ’s Pepita Salsa
Divide rice among two serving bowls. Top each bowl with roasted veggies, a handful of greens and half an avocado. Drizzle with salsa and enjoy.
Pesto Portobello Burger
- 2 packages TJ’s Portabella Mushrooms, wiped with a damp cloth, stems removed
- TJ’s Olive Oil
- TJ’s Salt & Pepper
- 4 slices TJ’s Provolone Cheese
- 2 TJ’s Roasted Red Bell Peppers, thinly sliced
- 4 of your favorite TJ’s Artisan Rolls, baked according to package directions
- TJ’s Organic Baby Lettuce Mix
- TJ’s Pesto
Preheat grill to medium-high. Brush mushrooms with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill mushrooms, gill side-down for 5 minutes; flip mushrooms and grill another 3-5 minutes until tender. Remove from heat and place provolone on top to melt. (Alternately, you can broil the mushrooms in the oven)
Slice rolls in half lengthwise. Generously slather bottom half of a roll with pesto. Top with mushroom, bell pepper, spring mix, and top half of roll. Repeat with remaining ingredients and enjoy immediately.
Veggie Burgers with Almond Turmeric Slaw
- 2 packages TJ’s Hi-Protein Veggie Burgers
- 2 teaspoons TJ’s Olive Oil
- 2 TJ’s Sweet Potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/4″ rounds
- TJ’s Sea Salt & Pepper
- 1 bag TJ’s Organic Shredded Cabbage & Carrots
- 1-2 tablespoons TJ’s Almond Butter Turmeric Salad Dressing
- TJ’s Honey Wheat Hamburger Buns
- 1 TJ’s Avocado
Preheat oven to 425°F. Place burgers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake 20 minutes on center rack of oven, flipping burgers halfway through cooking; remove from heat.
In a small bowl, toss sweet potato rounds with olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spread out on a baking sheet and place in oven. Sweet potatoes should be done around the same time as burger, or continue to cook until fork tender.
In a medium bowl, toss shredded cabbage with salad dressing; set aside.
To assemble: place a veggie burger on the bottom half of a hamburger bun. Top with sweet potato rounds, slaw, sliced avocado, and top half of bun. Repeat with remaining ingredients and serve immediately.
- 1 Tablespoon TJ’s California EVOO
- 1/2 bag TJ’s Organic Tuscan Kale, power greens or spinach, chopped fine
- 1 package TJ’s Steamed Lentils
- 1 cup quartered TJ’s Baby Heirloom Tomatoes
- 1 small TJ’s Shallot, minced
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon TJ’s Rice Vinegar
- 3 teaspoons TJ’s Dijon Mustard with White Wine
- 1 teaspoon TJ’s Clover Honey
- 1/4 teaspoon TJ’s Sea Salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon TJ’s Ground Black Pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin California Estate Olive Oil
To make the vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together shallot, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, honey then season with salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in oil until emulsified. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Makes about 1 cup of vinaigrette. Set aside.
In a medium pan on medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add chopped kale and sauté until wilted, about 3 minutes. Add bag of cooked lentils and stir until heated through, about 3 more minutes. Remove from heat and place into a large bowl. Add quartered tomatoes then gently fold in 1/4 cup of vinaigrette. Taste and add more vinaigrette if needed. This dish is best served warm, but it can also be prepared a day in advance and served cold.
Salad Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 TJ’s Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Tbsp TJ’s 100% Greek Kalamata Olive Oil
- 2 cups TJ’s Arugula
- 4 TJ’s Beets in Vinaigrette, julienned
- 1 cup TJ’s Crumbled Gorgonzola
- 1/2 cup TJ’s Roasted and Salted Pecans, chopped
- TJ’s Balsamic Glaze, for garnish
Preheat oven to 425°F. Wash potatoes and pat dry. Rub olive oil over the skins then place potatoes directly on center rack of oven.
Bake potatoesfor 45 minutes or until a fork easily pierces the skin. Remove from oven and slice down the center, halfway through, making sure not cut all the way through to the bottom.
In a medium bowl, combine arugula, sliced beets, gorgonzola and salted pecans. Toss the salad gently with tongs, then divide evenly among sweet potatoes. Garnish with balsamic glaze. Enjoy!