Recipe: Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
This is a super simple and very delicious recipe that I make for my personal chef clients. Feel free to experiment with different non-dairy milks. I have used cashew and coconut milk (full fat) and they have both turned out delicious. Happy cooking!
Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 16 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour if preferred)
- 4 cups veggie broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1. In a large soup pot, melt the vegan butter over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic and sauté until the mushrooms have softened and browned. Sprinkle over the flour, stir in, and cook 1 minute more.
2. Pour in the vegetable broth, almond milk, thyme, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Use your spoon to scrape the bottom of the pan and remove any bits stuck to the bottom. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes, to thicken slightly.