Recipe: Salted Chocolate Pudding
I have been making a lot of this pudding lately for our Corporate Wellness Lunch and Learns. It’s super simple and it covers a lot of the principals we discuss in our classes: limit added sugars, increase healthy fats and enjoy small quantities of nutrient dense, balanced desserts. Plus, who doesn’t love chocolate? I have had a few skeptics regarding the addition of avocado to this recipe but the strong chocolate flavor masks the avocado taste and it is crucial for the thick creamy texture. This recipe is seriously to die for. Make it ASAP!
SALTED CHOCOLATE PUDDING
For the pudding:
- 3/4 cup packed avocado (from 1 medium avocado)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons brown rice syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon natural smooth roasted almond butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 plus 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
- Fresh berries or pomegranate seeds
- Finely chopped almonds, hemp seeds or other nuts
- Add the avocado, cocoa powder, maple syrup, brown rice syrup, melted coconut oil, milk, almond butter, vanilla, and salt (start with 1/4 teaspoon) into a food processor. Process until super smooth, stopping to scrape down the side of the bowl as needed.
- Taste and adjust salt and sweetener, if desired.
- Spoon into an airtight container, cover, and chill for 1 to 2 hours, or simply enjoy immediately at room temperature.
- Portion into shallow bowls and top with toppings of choice. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 1 to 2 days.